Thursday

The Tagbanwa Musical Instruments









Daraet is one of the many festivities celebrated by the Tagbanua and Pala'wan tribes of Southern Palawan in the Philippines. Gongs, cymbals and drums are commonly seen and used. Bamboo flutes, local version of banjo and other percussion instruments are getting rare nowadays, but still around and kept by older members of the tribe. 
Decades ago, the drums and gongs used to be big and usually used to announce meetings or events which transpired in the community. Story has it that when the Tagbanua Inagawan Masicampo died, the drumbeats were heard for miles alerting the people of his demise. 

Please acknowledge this website and Masicampo Ruben C. Joya when you use the images here. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I enjoy reading your article. I found new ideas and very good information. I will come back for the next post. Thank you.

    Jenna
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I would like to use your pictures showing the musical instruments of Tagbanua, I badly need it for my report/ Powerpoint presentation at school. Don't worry, I would put the credits from this site. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete